Information for Americans employed by NOVA

This information was posted on the website of the U.S. Embassy

The U.S. Embassy is aware that NOVA filed for court protection on October 26, 2007 and has temporarily shut all of its schools in Japan. We are closely monitoring the situation.

NOVA's Foreign Personnel Section contact telephone number for East Japan is in Tokyo at (03) 6688-4441 and for West Japan is in Osaka at (06) 7688-0404. The Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare has also announced that NOVA teachers may call the Employment Service Centers for Foreigners at the Hello Work Offices in Shinjuku at (03) 3204-8621 and in Osaka at (06) 6344-1135 for advice. NOVA's situation is changing rapidly, and you may wish to follow the English-language websites of some of the major newspapers, including news at these sites:


If you decide you wish to remain in Japan, you may also wish to contact some of the following organizations for advice on employment contracts and Japanese labor regulations. Some teachers may be eligible for unemployment benefits; please contact Hello Work or the following organizations for further information.

The Tokyo Employment Service Center for Foreigners (TESCF)
Phone: 03-5122-2346
The TESCF provides help-wanted information and employment consultation to foreigners and businesses in Japan. The TESCF can also answer questions regarding your visa in Japan and how your employment status will affect it. Through their website, you can link to Hello Work Offices, labor and immigration information services, and immigration bureaus. The TESCF website also provides links to offices in Osaka and other areas of Japan.

Website: (Japanese language only)
Phone: 0570-078374
The Houterasu is a nationwide legal support center which helps callers locate professional support in civil and criminal matters.

The General Union
The General Union is a Japanese labor union that is open to all nationalities and has a section devoted to NOVA employees. Please check their website for news updates and information and options for employees.

Tokyo English Lifeline
The Tokyo English Life Line (TELL) is a free, anonymous telephone counseling service in English. You can call TELL 365 days a year from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. at 03-5774-0992. TELL also provides face-to-face counseling on a flexible-fee basis. To inquire about this service, call 03-3498-0231.

In addition, here is a link to a list of attorneys who speak English who may be able to assist you. If you decide to leave Japan, please be aware that airfares will rise significantly after December 20, 2007 as the holidays approach. If you require financial assistance, you could request that your family wire funds through the U.S. Department of State here or purchase an e-ticket on your behalf.

Please feel free to contact American Citizen Services in Tokyo if you have further questions or concerns at 03-3224-5000 or by e-mail at, or contact your closest Consulate or Consulate General directly. Click here for contact information. You may also visit our main Web page here. We offer a handy A to Z guide of services.